Slate and Agora; building the Slate VM

Shaping shaping1 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 29 04:35:55 PST 2004

> Hello,

Hi.

>>  More importantly, Slate has object-based multiple dispatch,
>> > which changes the character of the language a bit, but makes it more
>> > powerful in return.
>>
>> I read about this in the tutorial, but I'm not satisfied yet by the
>> role delegation strategy.  It seems to be in flux.
>
> It has changed since 0.3. I'll need to update this section. Traits are
> now  composed in a  traits window  and the  search for  traits objects
> modified to avoid ambiguities between inheritance and mere delegation.
>
> The details are in the src/mobius/vm/base directory.

I will read.  Thanks.

> In  fact, assignments  in  Slate  are message  sends  directed to  the
> current  execution context:  the current  object, the  context  of the
> method currently executed... The above could also be written:
>
> lobby addSlot: #x.

Right; it's seem clear either way.  You can have an explicit receiver, and if
there is none, then it must be the lobby.  Is that right?  Or are there also
inner scopes where that will also work.

> lobby x: 1. "Expanded form of assignment"

Makes sense.

You are correct.  All of the above involves message sends.  But I thought I saw
a ':=' (a regular assignment) in the doc somewhere.  I may be confusing Slate
with another (one of several) prototype-based language I read about recently.

Shaping