Slate UI

Waldemar Kornewald Waldemar.Kornewald at web.de
Wed Jul 21 09:04:09 PDT 2004

> I should mention that this remark about Squeak is absurd. In Squeak,
> you can start executing code anywhere, by selecting source and typing
> Alt-D for "do it", or Alt-P for "print it". There is also immediate
> inspection and live exploration of objects. (Google for "Squeak quick
> reference" and you will get a nice set of web pages that show you the
> hooks for all the core tools.) While Squeak's UI is non-standard, I
> don't care to ape the common platforms down to the last detail because
> they have huge assumptions about the run-time environment and mindset
> which have a strong detriment to real productivity (as opposed to
> imagined productivity). C, C++, C#, and Java are the ones that need to
> learn, and Squeak is one of the systems with the ideas that they are
> ignorant of.

Without having read the manual, I did not know where to actually write my code... ;)
But when you get used to it Squeak could be a nice platform, yes.

> I don't even know what you mean by "Base64 code", since that is only
> used to transmit code via email attachment in a portable and compressed
> way (and then it's only one way Squeak can do it), and Squeak's tools
> can immediately deal with it.

My bad explanation. :)
I wanted to find Squeak's source code of the Base64 module. It is in Collections-Streams, or so, but I searched through _every_ category multiple times and never found it until I used google. The organization is too inefficient. Had I only known that there is a searching function, but it was too hidden for me at that time...
Okay, what I want to say is that it takes time to get used to all those hidden context menus...the UI concept is different from Windows, etc. I do not like having to let all users look at hidden menus to search for some function.

Bye,
Waldemar