load: 'bootstrap/stream.slate'. bug

Lendvai Attila Attila.Lendvai at netvisor.hu
Mon Jul 26 06:18:27 PDT 2004

:: The problem is quite simple. The parser depends upon
:: FilterStream being there and "completed" to work. While
:: trying to parse the "FilterStream addSlot: #block valued: [|
:: :_ | True]." line,
:: parseBlock: makes a call to Stream select:, which tries to
:: instantiate a FilterStream. So the FilterStream prototype is
:: incomplete at the time the block is parsed.
::
:: Simple answer here is:
:: Do not overwrite old prototypes the parser depends on to
:: work! Only modify them!

sure, now it's obvious... :)

it is an intresting security/stability issue to disallow modification in
a running slate world that would change the semantics of the world
itself. well, to control the ability...

I hope you are getting along with that nasty bug, I've got more and more
changes and without generating a fresh image it's getting painful.

I'm doing little changes to the c generation to make it compile on
VisualC, and then play around with the debugger... will send the patch
when it's ready.

good luck,

 - 101