Slate: extreme optimization

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Thu Jul 29 10:45:00 PDT 2004

Lyndon Tremblay wrote:

> So, this is called Slate, and these .slate files, is it just me that sees
> this inconsistance? Rather, too much consistance if the future expects less
> of it? The reason I didn't realise that Slate "isn't the only language" for
> ... Slate.

Keep in mind that Pidgin is something of a compromise to speed up
bootstrapping, by being C-translatable. Eventually we want to have
language-modes which are less at-conflict with Slate semantics and fit
into the language itself (and we want to skip C translation even so).

> Clarification on current protocols regarding multilingual expansion? Pidgin
> files are also .slate, using the same emacs syntaxer (leveraging off
> smalltalk-mode.el), etc etc.

I don't understand. What do you mean by "current protocols regarding
multilingual expansion"? Do you mean human or programming languages? The
former is addressed in the recent thread on Unicode (well, partly). The
latter is addressed by the fact that Slate is a platform that can be
compiled-into without the same syntax. A lisp style of syntax has
crossed our minds sometimes, for example; most of the common syntaxes
might be interesting to others, but not to us... we are mostly
interested in abstracting the syntax we have.

> This is quite interesting though, but how to avoid the .NET-isms of multiple
> and transparent language support? If there are any.

We can avoid the ambiguity by annotating source trees or packages with
the "mode" or "dialect" of the contents, and dispatching on that. (Part
of the dispatching would occur in tools, of course, to help indicate
subtly but clearly what mode you're in.)

We actually have an inverted approach compared to .NET, where they have
several syntaxes for the same semantics, and we are offering different
modes and manners of usage for the same language.