Does it make sense to remove slots ?

Peter van Rooijen peter at vanrooijen.com
Sun Nov 7 13:25:18 PST 2004

Tim Moore wrote:

> That's a pretty well-accepted object oriented design philosophy known as
> Liskov's Substitution Principle. It's actually often phrased in terms of
> "the circle/elipse problem" as a matter of fact.

Hi!

While I agree that shape-mutable circles may make little sense being
implemented as subclasses of ellipse, I would add that LSP is a vision
on subtyping, not on inheritance/subclassing.

Inheritance/subclassing is just what it is. The language that is your
context defines how inheritance works and what it means. There is no
reason to limit its use to the implementation of subtypes.

Cheers,

Peter