Pointers in Slate.

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Nov 10 11:07:52 PST 2004

ByteArrays are also suitable, although with a one-word pointer, the
overhead (2 extra words, I believe) is substantial by comparison with a
SmallInteger.

About finalizers, yes. Resources should be pushed into a collection
whose elements are then re-initialized (mostly opened) on the next
startup, as well as of course being closed on shutting down.

Right now there are no startup or shutdown hooks, and I am aiming to
provide these once Slate supports concurrency.