Another channel for Slate

Glenn Alexander glenalec at shoalhaven.net.au
Wed Nov 10 22:08:49 PST 2004

I'm mostly lurking here and tinkering with Slate as the development
level is still too low for me to really contribute usefully at this
stage, but I will chime in here.

Brian: I have seen a few posts from you which made me cringe for the
recipient.

Pupeno: I don't exactly know Brian's situation, but I suspect he is
quite frustrated by not being able to put nearly as much time into
Slate as he would like, mainly because of the need to put food on the
table. While I can understand your reaction, I doubt Brian was
deliberately being snipey to you or anyone else personally.

Being a project leader (even a joint one) is not easy and letting
other people 'meddle' with your 'baby' is both exceedingly contrary to
human nature and at the same time laudable for those who do it despite
this. The only person I have ever heard of that pulls it off with
anywhere approaching minimum insult is Linus, and even he has the
occasional on-list barney with other developers.

I have often seen it cited (wrongly or rightly, though I suspect
rightly) that Linus' people skills are by FAR the main reason Linux
got off the ground like it did, so yes, Brian (and the rest of us too,
for that matter) might want to be careful in his replies to people who
don't have quite the same agenda/direction in their development
motivation as he, but by the same stroke, we all need to accept that
we are in a delayed text environment (mailing list) with all its
humanity-stripping characteristics and the apparent tone of a
quickly-typed (and likely late at night after a harrowing work-day)
email may not adequately express the true attitude of the sender to
the recipient.

My 5 cents (since we don't have 2c coins in Australia any more).

Glenn Alexander
(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong Australia)
Home site: http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~glenalec
Jabber:    glenalec @ jabber.org