problem with pushnew in .emacs file

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Oct 6 17:44:14 PDT 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 5:30 PM, Paul Dufresne wrote:

> On the 'Using Slate' of the wiki, there is a proposed .emacs file:
> ===
> (pushnew "~/slate/etc" load-path)
> (defconst slate-cmd "~/slate/slate")
> (defconst slate-dir "~/slate/")
> (defvar slate-args '("~/slate/my.image"))
> (require 'slate-mode)
> ===
>
> When I run emacs I get:
> Symbol's function definition is void: pushnew
>
> Does this work on very recent emacs version.
> I use the one in Debian testing:
> emacs21 21.3+1-7

It's an xemacs-ism. In emacs, you do (setq load-path (push
"~/slate/etc" load-path)), but repeating it will not avoid duplicate
entries.

HOWEVER, the actual solution (post-0.3) is to use the new unix makefile
target install-emacs, which just places the slate-mode.el in the emacs
lisp directory where you can just auto-load it with REQUIRE and just
use the defconst forms. This avoids needing to modify the path.