When to do what ?

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Fri Oct 8 08:26:46 PDT 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 9:16 PM, Pupeno wrote:

> Hello people,
> I'm starting, just starting, to make a bsd sockets wrapper for Slate.
> But I'm
> very new about this. So, for now, I'm coping the file implementation.
> Basically, I created three files:
> src/mobius/vm/ext/socket.slate
> src/mobius/vm/platform/includes/socket.h
> src/mobius/vm/platform/unix/socket.c
> and I'm starting to fill it, slowly.
> I also changed src/mobius/vm/platform/unix/Makefile, basically, I added
> socket.o, so, my socket is compiled.
> Is there anything else I need to do ? Like including socket.h in
> src/mobius/vm/platform/boot.c ?

Yes. Also, you need to add a SocketProto (and/or SocketTraits) to the
list of objects provided to the image, and exported from the VM.
vm/base/memory.slate for the exports, and vm/bootstrap.slate for
setting up the image links (twice in the generateLobby method).

> And now, my main question:
> What do I have to do now ? rebuild the vm ? make the vm ? rebuild the
> image ?
> And when I change something in socket.slate, socket.h, socket.c, what
> do I
> have to re-do ? Do I have to rebuild the vm every time ?

Well, if you change anything that's written in Pidgin, then you have to
re-generate the VM. The C-code, if changed on its own without affecting
the Pidgin, can just be re-linked with whatever VM sources were last
generated.

If you change the set of primitive objects available to the image, then
you have to rebuild the image, too, but only once for every change to
that set of objects.

Hopefully we'll have this process streamlined soon enough.