static versus dynamic linking (about ffi)

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Oct 12 08:43:16 PDT 2004

On Oct 12, 2004, at 4:39 AM, Paul Dufresne wrote:

> Frankly, I worry a bit about Brian pushing for code.
>
> It is very impressive to see Slate do graphics, but I am afraid,
> most all the code will have to be thrown and rewrote later.

I understand. But we need to get the system (especially the UI, which
needs a lot more work than it has) up and running, need to get guys
like Pupeno involved and learning something (and have them hold a stake
in the system), and regardless of what's written, having something
there that works and provides a known API is better than not having it.
And, frankly, the UI is my work and I need to make progress on it -
it's one of the prime reasons I started this project.

So, yes I know this will have to change, but, no, I don't care and I
don't want anyone discouraged by anyone else's work. If not for this
attitude, we'd all be working on Squeak improvements.