region.slate

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Fri Oct 22 18:13:27 PDT 2004

On Oct 22, 2004, at 5:15 PM, Pupeno wrote:
> I proposed myself understanding region.slate as much as possible as
> well as
> the documentaiton on regions on CLIM [1]. And at the same time, I'll
> try to
> improve region.slate.

Be careful: "improvements" are in the eye of the beholder.

> One of the first things is creating PointND, the N-dimensional points.
> It is
> followe by this comment [2]
> "N-dimensional points are vectors which don't accept further tupling."
> What does tupling mean ? Does this whole thing mean that points can be
> increased in dimensions ?

Yes, it means that the number of dimensions may not be modified by the
#, operator in place. #, messages will instead construct new points
(but I see that the way I wrote it was just to ignore that - I forget
what I actually intended though).

> And what does this method do:
> p@(PointND traits) , _ [ p ].
> - From my point of view, it seems a method to ignore the addition of
> dimensions,
> so running aPoint , 3 would just return aPoint (without a further
> dimension
> with a 3 in it). Right ? Am I right ?

Right! You are right! :) (Please, this answer is so obvious, that it's
rhetorical, isn't it?) I really don't care too much about this corner
of the library, except that I don't want data like this to be
modifiable by any easy means. It's much better if such data is made
with a new non-confusable identity.

Incidentally, why are you nitpicking about this when the perfectly
reasonable solution is to use a Vector?

> [2] Can we agree on a standard way to document objects, slots,
> methods, etc,
> etc ?

My "standard" is to say "A is a B which (insert extra semantics here)."
where A derives from B.