region.slate

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sat Oct 23 14:16:49 PDT 2004

On Oct 23, 2004, at 2:05 PM, Pupeno wrote:

>> I really don't care too much about this corner
>> of the library, except that I don't want data like this to be
>> modifiable by any easy means.
> What is 'this data' ? in what way you don't want it to be easily
> modifiable.

Uh, the point, vector or whatever geometrical object. I don't want them
to change in-place! How hard is that to understand? :)

>> It's much better if such data is made
>> with a new non-confusable identity.
> What does this mean ?

That means I want to use a Point in a triangle and not have bugs when
someone changes coordinates for a Point without notifying the referrers
to the Point.

>> Incidentally, why are you nitpicking about this when the perfectly
>> reasonable solution is to use a Vector?
> The perfect solution for what ?

Not /perfect/, perfectly /reasonable/. I.e. what I would expect someone
to do when faced with two choices, one of which they don't like, is to
choose the other one.

>>> [2] Can we agree on a standard way to document objects, slots,
>>> methods, etc,
>>> etc ?
>>
>> My "standard" is to say "A is a B which (insert extra semantics
>> here)."
>> where A derives from B.
> I was talking more about how to express objects, selectors,
> parameters, etc,
> etc.
> I'm used to doxygen commenting, and it's usefull. Do you know doxygen ?
> Obviusly, most of the features that are needed for C, C++, Java, etc
> are not
> needed for Slate, but some are usefull:
> http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/docblocks.html

I can't stand that horrible markup. We'll write documentation in the UI
framework, where code is represented with presentations, and the
document nodes will be live-linked to/from actual code.