region.slate

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sat Oct 23 14:56:52 PDT 2004

On Oct 23, 2004, at 2:50 PM, Pupeno wrote:
> Je Sabato Oktobro 23 2004 18:16, Brian Rice skribis:
>> I can't stand that horrible markup.
> Ok, I can understand that.
>
>> We'll write documentation in the UI
>> framework, where code is represented with presentations, and the
>> document nodes will be live-linked to/from actual code.
> Don't you think there's any way to start documenting code TODAY the
> same way
> it'll be documented with the GUI, when it arrives. I mean, the
> comments will
> be sotored somewhere in some way, can't we start doing it now ?

NO. Don't invent anything until there's a real way to know that you
won't have to re-invent it. Furthermore, comments are the possibly the
worst in this way - first, the current syntax is set up for source code
in text files, which is the first thing we need to fix ; second, the UI
code for documents is not even fleshed out, and when done, everything
will be objects instead of strings.

I mean, let's get this straight - even the manual will be considered
integrated documentation. The UI will replace LyX when we can do it.