Implicit context access

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sun Apr 10 16:29:22 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I realized we lack a way to generically refer to the implicit context,
used for implicit-context message sends, and have a couple of ideas
about that.

Motivation: This would be helpful because we often want to define
utility methods on a namespace, but we also have the &in: optional
keyword for load: which should in principle allow us to load any code
as though any other namespace were the lobby, but we have to hardcode
lobby references.

My initial idea was that in the context of method definitions, "_@()
foo []." for example dispatches to Nil, but I had thought that maybe
the surrounding namespace would be a better candidate.

After further thought, this is really a special case and should not
muddy the grammar of Slate too much. So, I'd prefer if we had a simple
selector that worked anywhere, like thisContext (which seems to cause
parse errors right now - I'll look into that) but more about accessing
the namespace object than an activation.

"thisNamespace" seems initially pretty good, but maybe there are better
suggestions. Any ideas?