Unstable changes in main

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Aug 30 08:31:53 PDT 2005

I have a set of changes I'd been debugging locally for a week, and
progress has slowed, so I've pushed them into the main repository for
increased exposure. There is a tag on the main repository
StablePoint-0.3.5.1 which is before all of these patches, so stop
there if you don't want to deal with this. I'll reply when the issues
are resolved.

The changes are:
1) A big change and cleanup in how directories are handled, including
trying to make LogicalDirectory a general facility, basically where
they hold onto a block used to update their locators when needed (for
Directory Home, this is on starting the image; for Directory Current,
this is just on chdir calls). This may turn out to be a poor design
decision, but I needed to make progress. The intent is that a
SlateDir can be made and recorded during the post-bootstrap phase,
which the image then remembers when it looks for standard sources
(even if we have to change "load: 'src/...'" into "load: 'src/...'
&from: SlateDir" or "load: SlateDir / 'src/...'). This would allow
Slate to run from anywhere in the file system without complaint.

2) Fixes to Directory Proxy to make it Dictionary-based instead of
slot-based, since the latter mixes up the object-oriented knowledge
with other information, and was causing some real headaches. It also
mostly works now. ;)

3) A refactored UI for Restart objects, mostly so that only the
Debugger needs to know which console it's using, and so that the
debugger mediates the UI requests of the Restart objects. This seems
to be the patch that is causing most of the bootstrap issues, since
it's become hard to debug new images if the restart ui is slightly off.

The fixes are probably easy, but I haven't perceived them yet. I'll
tag the repository again when it's resolved.