VM options ?

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Dec 20 10:08:16 PST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 1:23 AM, Márton Sasvári (IJ/ETH) wrote:

> Are there options to start the VM available, like starting without
> post-bootstrap ?

The post-bootstrap is executed by the bootstrap image itself, and the
VM is not even aware of it.

> I experience problems on cygwin during post-bootstrap when loading
> in path.slate. (When parsing RootedPaths somewhere 'path root' gets
> to be the lobby (which seems to be the default from the code) which
> does not have a #parethesize method).

That may be a bug (although not a bug of any normal configuration) -
also, you may be fooled into thinking that the receiver was the lobby
when in fact it may be a syntax representation of the lobby as
lexical context.

Did you make sure to get the most recent set of images and VM
sources? Or are you working with slate-current.tgz? Otherwise, you
should never see this.

If it is an emergency type of situation, you could replace path.slate
with an empty file so that nothing is loaded, but this will likely
cause other problems since the AutoLoader depends on it, and the
final post-bootstrap action calls that. Of course, you could always
try similar tricks on the AutoLoader, or abort the post-bootstrap
from the debugger.

> I would like to avoid post-bootstrap actions somehow and load them
> one by one to find out what the problem is.

I will try to think about how to make this more modular, but I cannot
promise quick results. Again, the VM has NO CONTROL over this. I
would have to improve the structure of the post-bootstrap itself to
make it more modular. Ideas are welcome, but please read post-
bootstrap.slate before responding. The latest copy is at:

http://slate.tunes.org/repos/main/src/mobius/vm/post-bootstrap.slate

Like the bootstrap, the post-bootstrap is code that is compiled into
the kernel image and then executed directly as a huge bytecode
method. The post-bootstrap just happens to be a little more flexible
since it is loading files from outside the kernel image, since the
parser and bytecode compiler exist by that point.

- --
- -Brian
http://tunes.org/~water/brice.vcf