My employment, and the project organization

Lendvai Attila Attila.Lendvai at netvisor.hu
Thu Feb 10 01:10:36 PST 2005

:: Hello all,
::
:: For the past year, I have been working under contract for a large
:: company, and not really discussed what I was involved with,
:: and kept it
:: separate from my work on Slate. Today, that contract ended, so I am
:: taking (at least) a few months to focus directly on the project.

Cool!

:: In particular, I intend to finish up the important sections
:: that I have
:: been holding up, such as concurrency, tools, and the UI
:: architecture,
:: and also to work on funding relationships so that Lee and I
:: can work on
:: the project full-time.

I should try to look for some EU fundig, too... :) would be fun...

:: I also want to spend a significant amount of time making
:: sure that the
:: project is usable for your needs; that it's actually useful.
:: So to that
:: end I need some testing of the ExternalLibrary
:: (src/lib/extlib.slate)
:: interfaces, and some criticism to see how it could be made better.
:: Attila has been the primary maintainer of it, and it's gradually
:: improving, but I want to make sure we reach a really usable
:: state soon
:: so that external bindings can be made and grown rapidly without an
:: annoying amount of maintenance.

I'm planning to spend some more time with it. Things are calming down in
my real life, the only headache I should solve is my job. I must stop
coding for a living, or get a job that satifies my intellect... (That
would be a slate job currently :) But still I've managed to do some
refactorings/fixes around C struct layout handling that I will check in
probably later today.

I'm missing things like being able to use bool struct element accessors
on the slate side. It requires more flexible/structured C definitions.

But first I'll finish the slate-only windoze console plugin with the
current FFI (few hours of coding) and then look at what could be
improved.

- 101 (attila)