Windows Slate build in Visual Studio

Todd Fleming todd at flemingcnc.com
Sat Jan 8 18:48:06 PST 2005

Here's how I prepare Slate after generating a fresh VM and image:
  C:\slate>slate little.image
  Bootstrapping libraries...
  Slate: Growing heap to 4818864 bytes.
  Hi, there!
  Slate 1> saveImageNamed: 'work.image'.
  False
  Slate 2> quit.

After that is finished, the following brings up a REPL:
  C:\slate>slate work.image
  Slate: Growing heap to 5863104 bytes.
  True
  Slate 2>

To make sure DLL support working, try this at the REPL:
  [| l f |
    l: (ExternalLibrary newNamed: 'User32').
    f: (l functionNamed: 'MessageBoxA').
    f argumentsFormat:
    {
      ExternalMethod ArgumentFormat Int.
      ExternalMethod ArgumentFormat Bytes.
      ExternalMethod ArgumentFormat Bytes.
      ExternalMethod ArgumentFormat Int.
    }.
    f callFormat: ExternalMethod CallFormat Std.
    (f applyTo: {0 'Hello from Slate!\0' 'My Dialog\0' 0}).
  ] do.

I haven't looked closely at smart-console, so I don't know what it adds,
other than command history. Fortunately the Windows console already
provides that to Slate.

Todd