DLL access on Windows

Todd Fleming todd at flemingcnc.com
Sun Jan 9 19:05:24 PST 2005

Shaping wrote:

>> My personal favorite distros are Debian and Gentoo. I love both of
>> their package managers but hate RPM (used by RedHat and SuSE). I tend
>> to use Linux for servers and XP for everyday stuff, including editing
>> Linux config files :).
>

> Why don't you like RPM?
>

> Shaping

Maybe they've fixed it since I tried it, but all I remember is this.

* I want to install package A, so I tell RPM to install package A.
* RPM says it needs package B.
* I hunt down package B and tell RPM to install it.
* RPM says it needs package C.
* I hunt down....

Here's what Debian's APT does:

* I tell it to install package A.
* It installs A, A's dependancies, A's dependancies' dependancies, A's
dependancies' dependancies' dependancies, and so on.

APT also intellegently performs upgrades. Even between major releases of
Debian. Even *without* rebooting. Even *without* leaving multiuser mode.
One by one it takes down a daemon, installs the replacement, then brings
it back up again before continuing to the next daemon. Replacing the
kernel is optional during a major upgrade; if you don't replace it then
it doesn't reboot. If you do replace it, then Debian keeps on running in
full multiuser mode after the upgrade but with the old kernel until you
reboot. Last I heard, major releases of RedHat require fresh installs.

Todd