Updates

Brian Rice water at TUNES.ORG
Thu Jul 28 00:41:01 PDT 2005

Hello all.

Lee and I have been busy lately and have not really kept you guys
informed of some changes. For one, he's been preparing for presenting
his paper at ECOOP and is now there, hopefully getting some useful
feedback and exposure. For my part, I've taken up a short-term job
working on embedded sensor-data routing software on Linux with Scheme
as an embedded scripting language. I'll also be traveling to DefCon
this weekend to meet up with old friends and make new ones. Notably,
I'll be meeting Lee in person for the first time (after five years of
conversing online)!

One particular change to Slate this week is that the bootstrapping
process has been somewhat object-ified and simplified. Details are in
the current README file, and may change as things move even farther
forward. Basically VM and Image definitions are now encapsulated, and
the bootstrap process in src/mobius/vm/build.slate reflects this.
It's possible that soon it will be generalized into a make-like
facility, but I can't say when this goal will be reached or what it's
appearance will be yet.

Slate is overdue for a next release, and in fact with some more
changes would make a good 0.4 candidate, but right now I'm a bit too
busy with various issues to focus on it. I'll let you know when the
situation changes.

Thanks!