[RFI] RubyGems-like Package Management Framework for Slate

Bill Sun billksun at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 14:13:40 PST 2005

Has anyone tried out Ruby and RubyGems?  I've played around with it for
a brief period of time, and although did not find the Ruby language as
spectacular as some people claim it to be (maybe it's because I tried
Smalltalk first?), RubyGems is something that really opened up my eyes.

In brief, these are some of the main features of RubyGems (taken from
RubyGems' wiki page):
 - Remote installation of packages
 - Dependency management
 - Easy and reliable uninstallation
 - Querying features, local and remote
 - Can have multiple versions of the same package installed
 - Web-based interface to view the documentation for your installed
gems

Compared to my experience with SqueakMap, RubyGems is much easier and
problem-free to use and deal with.  Something like this in Slate would
be a boon for its growth.  It's best if you experience it for yourself:

http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?action=browse&id=RubyGems&oldid=HomePage

-Bill Sun