[RFI] RubyGems-like Package Management Framework for Slate
billksun at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 14:13:40 PST 2005
Has anyone tried out Ruby and RubyGems? I've played around with it for
a brief period of time, and although did not find the Ruby language as
spectacular as some people claim it to be (maybe it's because I tried
Smalltalk first?), RubyGems is something that really opened up my eyes.
In brief, these are some of the main features of RubyGems (taken from
RubyGems' wiki page):
- Remote installation of packages
- Dependency management
- Easy and reliable uninstallation
- Querying features, local and remote
- Can have multiple versions of the same package installed
- Web-based interface to view the documentation for your installed
Compared to my experience with SqueakMap, RubyGems is much easier and
problem-free to use and deal with. Something like this in Slate would
be a boon for its growth. It's best if you experience it for yourself:
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!
More information about the Slate