Why not just use darcs tag --checkpoint to means alpha?

Paul Dufresne dufrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:56:53 PST 2005

I said:
>And one would use darcs get --partial to "get" what we now call alpha.
No. I misunderstood darcs get --partial.
One would have to know the name of the latest alpha tag.
Probably, it could be a version number, suffixed or prefixed with A for
alpha.
Then one would probable use darcs get --partial --tag A3.2.35
to get it the first time, then, darcs pull --tags A3.2.43 to pull the
latest alpha. Either he knows the tag name from an announce email,
or he used darcs change --tags to find them.

Now, I still believe that tags for alpha should use --checkpoint, and
tags for main, should not use --checkpoint.

It would be possible to put generated files (VM) in the same repository,
but if one would not use darcs get --partial, he would download all
versions of the vm (images and vm.c files), and that looks frightening to
me.
That's why having just a web directory called with the name of the tags for
let's
say the las three alpha versions, looks the best for the generated files.
A make getvm could probably find current tagname, and download the correct
generated files with wget.

--Paul