Some questions on Slate syntax

Lee Salzman lsalzman1 at cox.net
Sun Mar 27 16:22:58 PST 2005

It's not just tailored more to how computers work. When it
comes down to it, it makes as much intuitive sense as any
other way. Starting from the origin, how far away is some
thing? Giving you a spatial metaphor for working with items
I would argue makes it easier to see in your head what you're
doing. I can easily visualize grid space, but I can't easily
visualize a jumble of objects that I've counted.

Counting makes sense to me for talking about the size of a
collection, but really makes no intuitive sense to me elsewhere.
Now, maybe I have been programming too long and have built
up a new set of intuitions, but even so, at this point I'd like to
think that the spatial metaphor is simply the better idiom and
is worth learning.

Slate introduces a lot of concepts that have to be learned,
and once learned, are natural as anything. It is not trying to
accomodate existing ways people think so much as it is
providing a good way to describe the inner workings of things,
one I would argue is better than the normal human convention.
How often do people think about the metaphysical? Not so
much. We humans operate in a world of blackbox things. All
bets are off when you enter the realm of the conceptual. Stuff
like PMD is just plain weird and non-intuitive at first to most
people, and it still weirds me out when I try to find a good
physical metaphor for it - but does that mean it is useless?

Lee