Be able to compile on Linux [Patch]

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 1 09:59:29 PDT 2005

Pupeno wrote:
> Hello,
> I had to change configure.in to be able to compile the main branch on Linux. I
> am attaching the patch, I hope it's in the right format.
> Note: this patch may make Slate not compile in other architectures than Linux.

On Cygwin this results in some warnings

   gcc: -ldl: linker input file unused because linking not done

and then an error the first time gcc is used for linking:

   /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
   cannot find -ldl
   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

What Nicolas suggested is better:

   ifeq ($(OS),Linux)
     COPTFLAGS += -ldl
   endif

although I have a suspicion that this might also apply to other platforms
that have libdl (Solaris?). Maybe something like [totally untested]:

   ifeq (/lib/libdl.so,$(wildcard /lib/libdl.so))
     COPTFLAGS += -ldl
   endif

Also a reminder about my second Cygwin patch (cygwin2.zip in a previous
email).