Slate Digest, Vol 15, Issue 6

Samuel Bronson naesten at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:49:29 PDT 2005

On 5/10/05, Levente Meszaros <melevy at freemail.hu> wrote:

> In a nice utopia one could think of computing systems being able to
> understand natural languages as programs if you will. I know it's a very

I doubt it, most (all?) *programmers* have trouble with this for most
non-trivial things...

> Think of an expert system (a kind of limited AI) for the problem domain of
> computer programming. I think knowledge representation and composition
> models close to our own abstractions in our minds might help much more than
> any optimization.

If our minds had what it took to perform these computations, wouldn't
we just use *them*?

Or are you suggesting that we try to create artificial intelligence
good enough to actually *program* the computer? That seems like it
would be insanely difficult -- I know programming can be. Anyway, how
would it have any idea what was wanted?

--Sam