Can an Operating System be written un C-unlike programming language

Steven Shaw steshaw at gmail.com
Sun May 15 02:12:07 PDT 2005

On 5/12/05, Lee Salzman <lsalzman1 at cox.net> wrote:
> But really, this is all best left  undiscussed right now until the compiler
> is done. I'd rather the OS be less wishful thinking and vapor than something
> that will just happen as a natural progression of self-hosting. I know how
> to do it, it's no big deal, and it will happen when the time is right.
> It's just a few
> little drivers. Nothing to see here, move along. :)

No worries. I was just taking the opportunity to validate some things
I think I'm getting a handle on and perhaps get involved in a
interesting project.

As for your Squeak example - it points out that sometimes it's useful
to escape to the other operating system. Hosting your system on top of
another seems like a reasonable thing to do and makes good use of
available development resources. I guess many people may prefer to run
Slate hosted on Linux or Windows even after such time as a Slate based
operating system is available. Others would even prefer more
integration with their operating system of choice (i.e. Gnome, KDE,
Cocoa, Win32).

Cheers,
Steve.