Directory bug on Windows

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Fri May 20 12:59:20 PDT 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 12:02 PM, Bryn Keller wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Is this the best place to report bugs? I found one that occurs when
> you try to use a windows-style directory path, with either forward
> or backward slashes.

First answer: yes.

Second answer: it looks like a bug in the part that tries to figure
out the drive. Honestly I haven't turned on my Windows XP machine in
a few months (the damned systems software broke down again - I get so
tired of dealing with that), so this has probably bit-rotten or never
worked. If you feel up to it, check out src/lib/file.slate where the
"File Locator" code is to see how it works, particularly String as:
File Locator - it is not terribly well-factored but you might at
least find it instructive.

I'll also take a look at it and probably wind up doing some extensive
cleanups (turning it into, say, File Locator readFrom:
PositionableReadStream), but it could take longer. Other (windows)
users are welcome to try their skills at it and send in a patch (I'll
accept anything that works and isn't too obscure).