Stream test cases

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed Nov 30 10:04:04 PST 2005

Hi all,

This is a call for participation around a test suite exercising the
generic stream protocols.

It's a big job writing a comprehensive test suite that lines up with the
description in the manual and the intent behind the protocols, but
fortunately it's the kind of thing that parallelises nicely and can be
built up piece by piece. If anyone has a spare moment, writing a test
case for streams (or two) would be a good way of spending it!

There's the start of such a test suite in tests/stream.slate.

The reason for my interest in conformance to the stream protocols is
that I've been hacking around sockets and socket-streams and threading
recently, and I feel that getting sockets right needs the underlying
stream implementation(s) to be aligned with the spec. Streams are so
central to the operation of the system that they really need to be reliable.

Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net