Updates

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Oct 18 18:04:38 PDT 2005

Hi all,

So, after many weeks, my contract job is over and not soon enough.
I've been neglecting Slate, but it was a busy project and I gained a
lot of embedded systems experience, so I think it was rewarding.

Some updates since there last was activity:
- The make install target was re-instated. There is still the problem
that the image needs to start up in the source directory. I have part
of a general facility working to fix this.
- Nick Forde added many benchmark tests from the Computer Language
Shootout. "make benchmark" runs them. Verdict: The Slate VM is quite
fast; the Slate image, incredibly slow (due to huge layers of message-
passing overhead - we have a lot more library abstraction than other
systems, supposed to be elided by dynamic inlining later).
- Bug-fixes for queues, ring buffers, and various other bits.

I am going to crank out a new version soon to get all of the
interesting changes out into the wild so I can focus on bigger
features that we really need to move forward - more on that later.