A provocative naming idea for "setter" methods

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Sep 21 12:40:55 PDT 2005

I just want to say that I personally prefer the current getter/setter
scheme.  I do see your point regarding the noun/verb confusion.  But I
have a word over symbol bias that causes me to dislike the proposed
solutions.  My solution would be to convert the nouns into verb phrases
by prepending 'set' or 'get' to the slot name and camel-casing it.  In
other words having a read/write slot called 'handle' would result in
message names 'getHandle' and 'setHandle:'.  My 2 cents.

Ken