lack of contributors

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at gmx.net
Sat Apr 1 06:28:13 PST 2006

Hi Brian,
you wondered what is wrong with this project? I don't claim to know
this, either, but here are a few possible issues (let's hope you don't
misunderstand these suggestions):

Lack of a compiler: even very simple apps are unusable. This should have
highest priority. Slate must become usable for real-world apps.
Libraries can be extended by others. The core coders must work on internals.

Fight for C++ and Java programmers! It's a lot easier to get them on
board than die-hard, conservative Squeak programmers. Slate should
better be initially seen as a second language, not as a replacement for
your beloved main programming language. There is no obvious reason why
Slate should be better than Lisp or Squeak. Concentrate on other
communities.

You're basically a one-man team. There is no guarantee that this project
will stay alive for a long time. This relates to:
Sometimes people are pissed off by your mentality. Stay calm. Be polite.
Keep in mind that everything you say on IRC is read by many people. Do
you think they will ever want to risk being called an idiot?

You have high expectations. People don't want to be pushed. Let them
work on something, but don't expect anything as long as they are not
established team members.

Slate is too complex. It does not feel very elegant. You have to learn
too many concepts and rules (inheritance, role-based dispatch,
precedence, traits slots, delegation, macros, syntax, ...). You should
take this more seriously. One quickly gets overwhelmed by Slate.

The website greets you with a lot of information. Is the feature list
really needed on the front page? Those features don't tell me very much.
We want to know the *advantages* of Slate, a few *examples*, and a few
direct *comparisons* (Java, Squeak, ...).

Bye,
Waldemar