lack of contributors

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Apr 5 08:20:37 PDT 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 6:53 PM, Mark Haniford wrote:

> About Smalltalk:  Like many algol-inspired programmers, I found the
> syntax to be quirky, but as Smalltalkers know, it has a drop-dead
> simple syntax.  Not only that, but keyword selectors make it very
> readable.  Notwithstanding (i < 42 ifTrue: []).  That is not readable,
> it's just consistent.  If ( blah) is how we read, but that's somewhat
> offtopic for this rant.

I will gratuitously comment that Slate can (right now) do:

if: i < 42 then: []
if: i < 42 then: [] else: []

and "[] until: []" / "[] while: []"

> Oh, and as far as Brian's attitude.  I went through a lot of the
> mailing lists archives to understand the history of Slate and found
> Brian to have a fairly professional, congenial attitude.  I think it's
> just IRC that he might have a problem with.  That's fine, he recently
> stated he doesn't dig IRC.

Yeah, I shouldn't be on there much any more. IRC exposed me to too
much raw commentary from people who couldn't be bothered to do more
than spend 15 minutes on anything.

> In any case, PMD is what is important, not syntax.  If the syntax
> sucks then we can parse out the slate code into something else.

The MVC framework should in principle allow that, by using the AST
model for portability.

> I have no stake in. Brian does and I can understand his passion.  I'm
> somewhat passionate about a better way to do things too, but maybe
> Waldemer has some decent suggestions.
>
> Brian, don't rip on him.  At least he cares enough to post.

Point taken.

> Maybe "PMD" should be forked

Well, the source language with PMD, Cecil / Diesel, is still around,
but it's totally static and centered around university research work.