A somewhat interesting Sun researcher interview

Mark Haniford markhaniford at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 11:44:58 PDT 2006

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Interviews/goldman_qa.html

I thought the most interesting thing bits were:

"here's that [novelist] William Gibson quote, "The future is already
here. It's just not very evenly distributed." Recent applications are
already beginning to exhibit many of these properties. A lot of
software is no longer static and can now be customized. Plug-in
architectures and web-service-based applications can be changed after
being installed by adding modules that provide services based on
defined protocols and interfaces. Adobe Photoshop is a classic
example. And browsers, integrated development environments, and
operating systems are constructed this way. A lot of our ideas are
inspired by seeing what current software is starting to do."

To me, if you take that to its logical conclusion, then you need to
start considering "live" environments such as Slate is trying to
accomplish and Squeak has.

There's some other bits in there that seem to indicate that the
researcher sees the need for live environments.

Are some at Sun looking past the static world?

P.S.  If this is offtopic or unwelcome to the list please advise.