lack of contributors

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Apr 5 13:50:22 PDT 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
> Brian Rice wrote:
>>> I just see that there are a few issues, but no syntax is perfect:
>>>
>>> (x < 5) /\ (x > 9) ifTrue: [...].
>>> vs
>>> (x < 5) \/ [x > 9] ifTrue: [...].
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> x < 5 ifTrue: [...].
>>> vs
>>> [x < 5] whileTrue: [...].
>> Brackets to denote lazy / repeatable evaluation is some kind of
>> problem? Why?
>
> It's something you have to become aware of and it feels
> inconsistent (though it's not). Maybe it's just me expecting the
> language to be intelligent enough to know when lazy evaluation is
> appropriate.

I'm not going to let the language source become ambiguous. Languages
are notational technology, and precision is better than lack thereof.
Languages should be dumb so that agents (human and automata) that
work with it find it transparent. Again, see the AST MVC pattern.

> I want the language to help me, not stay in its static cage.

I want to be the King of all Siam and wear a fancy hat, but saying so
won't do a damned thing to help that. I left the self-modifying
concatenative syntax behind because it was too difficult to think in.
Languages that try to be clever will bite you later.

> BTW, isn't that part of Zoku's ideas?

(Referring to http://www.zoku.com/ )

I don't find anything about Zoku to be terribly compelling other than
the vaguely worded statements of philosophy. (Same with Paul Graham's
Arc proposal.) It has lots of good marketing blurbs, but the
technical content is dubious (I've seen deeper stuff than what's on
the website), and I find the author to be somewhat of a quack. I have
spoken to him in person many times (and also over Skype), and there
is also controversy about his owning smalltalk.org and promoting his
own personal views as even remotely resembling those of the larger
Smalltalk community (or anyone at all, actually).

> I forgot to mention that if Slate should really support a
> "scripting language" mode then it's probably good to support normal
> text editors (UIs are not available very often). This would speak
> for making Slate more readable even at the ASCII level (without
> going too far away from Smalltalk's message syntax, but we have
> discussed this already...).

See Common Lisp's SLIME mode with SWANK protocol. Someone could port
this to Slate fairly easily if they focussed on it.

>> I will gratuitously comment that Slate can (right now) do:
>> if: i < 42 then: []
>> if: i < 42 then: [] else: []
>> and "[] until: []" / "[] while: []"
>
> I like this more than the current style because it sounds more like
> a sentence.
>
> Loops should probably better look like this:
> while: [] do: []
> until: [] do: []

I understand, and these are not official yet, especially since I'd
need to add bytecode compiler support to optimize them to the same
level. Right now they're just layers atop the Smalltalk-80 idioms. In
any case, "do:" is reserved for applicative settings where no other
idiom suffices. I see no reason to ape other languages precisely when
a close analogue is good enough.

In any case, WE CAN TRANSFORM THE SYNTAX LATER. It will also be
easier with an IDE/source-database and pattern-matching template
transformers for Slate code.

REPEATED NOTICE: Don't put the cart before the horse. Every single
time you focus on these issues instead of handing me a patch, you
irritate me. Doing the opposite will reverse this trend just as
readily, and I exhort you to do so. If you do not do so, you will
only raise my ire and accomplish less.

Is this too much to ask?