bootstrapping

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:55:41 PST 2006

Hi! At long last, I begin hacking Slate. Part of my new year resolutions.

So far, I couldn't get it to run.

(0) on debian, I had to
   apt-get install libncurses-dev libsdl1.2-dev libcairo2-dev libtool
 so as to be able to compile.

(1) I was having problems compiling cairo, until SamB for pointed me
to pkg-config as the right way to find compilation flags for cairo.
And so I sent a patch that uses it to properly compile the cairo
plugin.

(2) on i386 in main/, the vm compilation works (with a few warnings),
but slate.image is not made by default. make slate.image worked. Brian
told me to make bootstrap, which also worked.

(3) on x86_64 in main/, the vm compilation failed as ld refused to
link with libm(!). I presume that the image files might be wrong
anyway, even if I got the vm to compile. Brian tells me we're not
ready to produce 64-bit vm and images yet, anyway.

(4) I spent quite some time trying to compile a newly downloaded
alpha/ branch, until Brian told me to make distclean bootstrap, which
worked. It's not clear what the Makefile should contain by default to
do the Right Things in all circumstances.

Thanks and congratulations for Slate! And a happy new year of hacking
to all of you.

The common argument that crime is caused by poverty
is a kind of slander on the poor.
        -- H. L. Mencken