slate gui slowness needs fixing before proceeding

Timmy Douglas timmy+slate at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jun 11 12:09:15 PDT 2006

Well, I've added patches to my repos for simple one-way undo and now
you can type in all the characters fine. The problem is that there is
no point in going further (selections, copy paste, searching,
kill-line, cleaning up my ugly code, etc) when the current gui is too
slow to type in. I guess my ideal path after those features to the
text buffer would be to modify demo/inspector.slate to elegantly edit
the current environment. But enough of the future talk.

So I'd like to take a look at speeding up (or something to speed up
the GUI portion) of slate, but the only real dealings I have with
compilers are from when I wrote a tiger compiler in sml (following
appel's book for a class). Anyways, I didn't see any hint of where to
start from the last 1000 messages on this list, so I thought I'd start
a thread. So what are the options?

In about a week, I'm going to get more busy though since another
summer class will start, but until then, I should have time to get
something done.