slate gui slowness needs fixing before proceeding

Timmy Douglas timmy+slate at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 13 21:21:34 PDT 2006

Brian Rice <water at tunes.org> writes:

> The code that "make newboot" calls (mentioned in INSTALL) is in src/
> mobius/vm/build.slate and then there's src/mobius/vm/bootstrap.slate
> and so forth. src/mobius/init.slate shows the load order needed to
> build up a working VM+image bootstrapper. The README maps out the
> contents of the directories of the Slate repositories.
>
> That said, a guide to Slate's build system is certainly warranted.
> I'll think about how to start one, but suggestions are also welcome.

The main thing I was looking for would be something like this (which
is pure guessing now since I haven't had much time to look into it):

1. vm.c and vm.h is downloaded from the tunes site (why isn't it in
   the darcs directory instead?). It is some sort of minimal slate
   interpreter which uses <insert something about alpha vm boot
   image?> and reads the special slate files:
   src/mobius/vm/bootstrap.slate and blah and outputs another vm.c
   file.

2. The new vm.c file is compiled with your c compiler into the final
   slate vm and then your image is built using that VM and the files
   blah blah blah and saved to slate.image.

It'd be nice if you could go into more details with the files used and
what they do in a line of text if ever get time.

The readme has a lot of files in it that don't exist anymore.