Administrative updates

Bill Sun billksun at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 21:59:04 PST 2006

Thank you, Brian, for the email. I think it was much needed. I'd like to give a
few responses:

Blog or Email - A Blog is more open to the public than a mailing list, and it
doesn't clog up the subscriber's inbox.  With some HTML formatting available, a
blog can also be easier to read.  It is also convenient for those that just
want to passively follow the project, and will perhaps save the mailing list
for those that want to be more involved with the project.  Thus, I believe
blogs are more suitable for well formulated ideas, public announcements...etc.
The mailing list has a target audience - its subscribers - and thus is useful
when you want to solicit for feedback or want to convey a message to the more
engaging (hopefully) subset of your project's community.  The mailing list can
be a more formal communication channel between the active members of the
community, while the blog is more of an broadcasting channel that is more
informative than interactive.

CMS - Recently, I've been trying out Pier as a repository for consolidating my
project documentations into a central location.  While I didn't go underneath
the hood to customize anything, Pier is already pretty useful.  For one, it
takes care of updating the internal links fairly well, and is generally easy to
use.  There's no setting up needed (except for maybe 3 questions to answer) to
get things going.  So from an user perspective, that's definitely valuable.  Of
course, you probably already know this and understand the technical side more
fully that I, in that case, just take this as an user's experience.

Psoriasis - Although this isn't directly tied in to Slate, I do appreciate the
open disclosure on how this condition can affect you and how you interact with
other people.  I must admit, a lot of times I get the impression that you lose
control of your emotions easily and think negatively of you.  But being aware
of your condition will allow me to more easily read through the emotions and
into the point(s) that you are trying to make.

-Bill