Administrative updates

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Thu Mar 9 12:22:39 PST 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

> Brian Rice wrote:
>> Project Public Representation - It's pretty obvious (to me and
>> others  I'm sure) that our website does not really reveal as much
>> as it  should about what's good and relevant about our project and
>> how it  works, and basically for me the bottleneck has been the
>> fact that I  manually edit the server HTML and CSS in order to
>> update the website  and that some kind of CMS is in order to make
>> news/structuring/layout  much easier to deal with. I am leaning
>> towards Pier, a CMS on Seaside/ Squeak, or Plone, or one of the
>> other big-flexible frameworks for  managing website components.
>> Suggestions for particular things about  website improvement or
>> modules that should be there would be much  welcome.
>
> You probably don't want anything PHP-based, but maybe you would
> like to try Sitellite CMS (though, it's difficult to install). I
> like Plone as a community CMS where everyone can contribute and a
> moderator publishes those changes (but surely moderation is too
> much work for you alone, so you'd need volunteers for the website).

Yeah, PHP just gives me the shivers. :) I've poked at Plone enough to
know what it can do (I have a friend who's hosted Plone sites for
years), but it's also a bit scary in terms of run-time overhead and
configuration.

> Did you consider using a bug/ticket tracker? Having bugs reported
> via IRC might work for now, but that could change quickly. Also, a
> detailed task list for every milestone could help to get more
> focused development and reduce the number of people asking "What
> can I do?". I'm currently working on Collaboa (Rails-based), but
> Trac is a little bit more usable, ATM.

Yeah, that's been on my mind. If I give you a login for the Slate
jail, would you mind playing around to set one up?