Concurrency Proposal

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Thu Mar 9 12:36:57 PST 2006

I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but Levi is an undergrad student who
is trying to get academic sponsorship for some Slate work in this
direction, so he may be able to work on this seriously.

I don't have much to directly comment on except that it'd be a
benefit to get some discussion on the technical points so that we
wind up with a good initial design and don't "code ourselves into a
corner"; concurrent programming support can be a tricky issue in that
it pervades assumptions about code and what it can do.

Also, there should be a relation kept in mind between this and the E-
style work that was done before (mainly in src/lib/process.slate and
src/lib/concurrency.slate), even if the relation is "replace most of
it", although eventual-sends are a good idea regardless.

I will say that Scheme48 does offer some decent ideas on how to go
about things portably, and I need to look at its continuation code
since they use an array-based stack as well.