darcs patch: Fix semaphore implementation to *not* sh... (and 1 more)

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Thu May 11 07:12:42 PDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 3:36 AM, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:

> Brian Rice wrote:
>> I have some local patches that conflict with this, so I haven't
>> successfully applied them yet. I'll push them out as soon as I can.
>
> Cool.

Okay, NOW these are uploaded. I've been taking unscheduled plane
trips for business purposes and hectically busy in the office so my
attention has just not been healthy.

> Anyway, the road is open now to getting a timeout-heap integrated with
> the select() call and then integrating SDL's events.

That is definitely a good thing.

> Any comments on whether CML's events design is a good one to lift for
> slate? It seems clean, elegant and powerful, and perhaps also a bit
> slow... I do like the composability of events. (Almost as nice as
> STMs!)

I like the design, and I also like the idea of Smalltalk Announcements:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/Announcements%
20Framework

as "asynchronous exceptions" (see src/unfinished/announcement.slate
for a bare sketch of this idea). But I'm sure you've given this some/
more thought so I'd like to hear that (or just see demonstrating
patches).