very basic listbox code request for comments

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sun May 14 10:40:45 PDT 2006

On May 14, 2006, at 8:42 AM, Timmy Douglas wrote:

> Timmy Douglas <timmy+slate at cc.gatech.edu> writes:

>>> I agree. XML-type styles or CSS and so forth strike me as ideas that
>>> should carry over into non-web UI architecture, and I consider this
>>> sort of thing a worthwhile addition to Slate's UI layer.
>>
>> Well, I'm back from my break before the summer semester starts and I
>> decided to play around with having a central repository for
>> color/etc. See what you think... It doesn't really have any XML or
>> CSS ideas in it now though.
>
> I forgot to say the problem was when you change the theme you might
> overwrite colors that were set manually by the user/programmer. I
> don't know a good way to do it so that it doesn't do this and have it
> transparent to the programmer. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas.

That's the reason for "cascade" in the CSS acronym: so that separate
stages of styling can be grouped and updated separately.

How this is worked out on a technical level with a live-object
environment is up to your imagination, and implies some overhead to
track the styles and recompose, but this doesn't seem like a heavy
price.