very basic listbox code request for comments

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Tue May 16 14:23:10 PDT 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Timmy Douglas wrote:

> Brian Rice <water at tunes.org> writes:
>> I think you don't understand what what your change does. Let me
>> explain:
>>
>> When you use #addImmutableDelegate:valued: in that code, you make the
>> HOLDER of the new slot inherit from the VALUE you're putting in that
>> overridable slot. In this paragraph, however, you're talking about
>> wanting to delegate from some other object to the HOLDER of the slot,
>> and this is what #addDynamicSlot:valued: is for.
>
> Ok, yeah, I totally misunderstood what delegate slots were
> for. Somehow I thought these were the slots that were inherited (only
> exist in the base object) while the data slots got copied (into
> another memory location) into the child object everytime you used
> #define:&parents:. Thanks for clearing this up.

Whew, I'm glad that was all the confusion was about. Incidentally, I
should re-iterate that I am not entirely happy with the way Slate
handles inheritance; that basically we have been working from the
Self model and customizing it as we go.

> Did that darcs send command send anything? I guess I'll try
> unrecording and fixing some stuff up before I send again.

No, it didn't. The send command usually needs a mail daemon running
on your local system to send the email itself.

However, "darcs send -o" will make a file with the patches in it
which you can manually attach, and that's usually what I recommend/use.