patch for textbox beginnings

Timmy Douglas timmy+slate at cc.gatech.edu
Wed May 31 19:16:26 PDT 2006

  * textbox beginnings

  In this patch I write a generic (untested, but compiles) interface
  for textbuffers and then I fill out an example one that is based on
  an array of arrays. I extended the Command object for textbuffer
  manipulations so when things need to modify a textbuffer, they can
  group a bunch of commands in a recording and then execute them at
  once. Those can then be replayed with #undo to undo the changes. But
  where should I store these recordings so that they can be played
  back and stuff? I created a file called focus.slate for the
  beginnings of a way to determine what morphs have focus and I think
  I'll try to figure out in there a way that user keyboard input is
  redirected to the right components. But I'm not really sure how I
  should design that. Right now nothing is getting keypresses, so the
  textbox in the ui.slate file is pretty much a dud.

  I also did some cleaning in listbox.slate and put the behavior in
  scrollpane where it belongs. Perhaps in the future I can make it so
  scrollpanes don't crash and burn in the drawing method when the
  scrollbars are nil.

  I also started a file called fundamental-mode. This would ideally be a
  command list that takes basic key presses and sends the
  textbuffercommands to the buffer. Right now though I have no idea how
  the defined CommandMap is supposed to work (it's a dictionary but what
  maps to what? what does translators do? what kind of object is an
  accelerator? etc)

The next step would be figuring out how to send the keypresses to the
right morph and deciding how that should be done. Maybe someone can
give me an idea here.

Then I need to figure out how the CommandMaps should work, where the
command message/undo rings should be placed, and then we'd probably
have a functional textbox.