Worldforge

Anders Petersson bineng@bespin.dhs.org
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:17:30 +0200

At 1999-10-18 , Pat Wendorf wrote:
>Anders Petersson wrote:
> >
> > Have you all checked out Worldforge? (www.worldforge.org)
> > They seem pretty related to our task, since according to their site:
> > "WorldForge's ultimate aim is to produce a general framework for creation
> > of Genre-independent RPG and RTS games."
>
>Sounds interesting, I hope they are doing it as an opensource, free
>client product.

Yes. Open source, both servers and clients. They are developing a few
different servers and quite a few clients for different platforms and
graphic abilities. Seems like they want the same game to be able to use
both 3D, 2D and text clients at the same time. They have /some/ ambition. :)

> > They have been going for soon a year, and their size and dedication is
> > impressive, even if the site has little news from the last month or so. As
> > it seems, AKOS covers parts of their effort, but I suspect AKOS is more
> > flexible in what it does. OTOH, AKOS is nothing (yet, at least). They have
> > some sort of simple demo finished (haven't looked at it).
>
>Download it and try it out, it might help us with our own project.

Well, their primary platform is Linux, which not is mine. Someone else,
feel free. But I'm sure we could look at their Python source.

> > Noted from their site:
> > "Many of us have tried developing this concept on our own, several had even
> > worked on similar projects with commercial intentions. We realized the task
> > was more than we could do alone, or even with a small group. But this
> > project has a sufficient size and diversity of talent to do it."
>
>Ok I guess that implies that they are free, very cool then.

Correct. They don't seem to lie in the quotation above either. We should
keep our eyes on them.

binEng