Goals of the LLL

Francois-Rene Rideau rideau@ens.fr
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:41:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear LLL Tunesers,
   before I begin to discuss about implementation details,
I will repeat the goals of the LLL.

   As far as the former maintainer (I) defined it,
after long discussions
(that weren't totally conclusive as JVS, for instance, disagrees),
decided that the LLL would be
a self-extensible low-level language,
with whatever hardware-dependent low-level primitives necessary
to be used in implementing and supporting
a programming model for the HLL,
where reliable Migration and annotations would be possible.
   The design goals for the LLL will be in that order:
1) complete low-level control
2) extensibility toward HLL concepts
3) portability
Note that portability comes last,
and that interoperability is *not a goal* at all.
The extensibility is meant to provide *consistent* support
in implementating a LLL library
for low-level tasks in the HLL environment,
and for a standalone LLL/debug environment as well,
so as to debug the lower levels of OS implementation.
And the low-level control is to allow maximal precision
in dealing with the guts of the system,
which is the primary goal of a low-level language.

   I'd like you comment through private mail only
if you agree or disagree -- I'll summarize.
Or maybe our maintainer, Nathan (utsl@one.net), should do that ?
After all *he* is now the maintainer, not I anymore !
[utsl: it's still time to resign, if you don't accept such hassle
that the Charter made you responsible of ;-)]
   Also note that the new maintainer may change the goals,
and that anyone can propose a vote to change them, too.
Of course, I would vote for the goals I just stated,
unless someone convinces me.
   Feel free to read/write the Tunes WWW pages about the LLL:
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/LLL/LLL.html

-- Fare -- rideau@clipper.ens.fr -- Francois-Rene Rideau -- +)ang-Vu Ban --
		   TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System
WWW page at URL: "http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/"