Could we use multiple stacks?

Nathan Hawkins utsl@one.net
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 15:52:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> That is could we have (at least logically) 4 stacks.
> One for pointers
> One for ints
> One for floats
> One for return values

You forgot the return address stack. ;-)

> If machines start have other basic data types perhaps we could add
> those too?

I have no idea what types other machines are going to add to these...

> Or something along those lines.
>
> That way we would be implementing a more traditional forth, varying in
> only where values are put.
  ^^^^  That's a pretty significant variation!

Besides, it really doesn't help with typing things in memory. If we can
get this to be done the same way as on the stack, we gain an enormous
simplification.

*utsl*