Hello & Why an LL _L_?

Basile STARYNKEVITCH Basile.Starynkevitch@cea.fr
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:02:19 +0200

Hello All,

I'm interested in Tunes (I'm looking into it since several
months). I'm 37 years old, married & father of 3 children, have a PhD
in AI, and am interested by reflective systems. Professionnally I work
as a computer scientist at CEA, but my interest in Tunes is only
personal!

But I don't understand why the Low Level Language (ie LLL) should be a
language!

I perfectly agree than there should be a low level procedural
representation in Tunes. But in my opinion, it should not be defined
as a language (e.g. parsed as a sequence of tokens, etc) but only as
an internal representation, with a (reflective) API to access and
modify it.

LLL programs should only be handled (ie generated and perhaps updated)
by programs (sort of compilers), not directly by humans!

Therefore, I think that the LLL should be defined as an internal
representation, not as a language. I'm calling it here the low level
representation, ie LLR

I think that the LLR should be somehow tree-like or DAG-like. But
since it is a representation, not a language, some questions are
simply irrelevant (eg scoping). Names are not needed in the LLR
(except for modularity), just use references (ie pointers) to the same
object!

Also, the LLR should be used for portable incremental code generation.

Just some fast thoughts. Seeking some comments.

I might actively go into TUNES (on my spare time at home, on my home
PC - but currently it is broken, I will change the mothercard in a
month!)

Thanks for reading.

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Please cite a *pertinent part* of my mail in all answers
Veuillez citer une *partie pertinente* de mon courrier dans vos reponses

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat à l Energie Atomique
DRN/DMT/SERMA * CEA/Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) [1] 69.08.85.68; phone: 69.08.40.66; homephone: 46.65.45.53
email: Basile.Starynkevitch@cea.fr (or else basile@soleil.serma.cea.fr);
I speak french, english, russian. Je parle français, anglais, russe.