Solo bootloader

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel@lsi.usp.br
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:13:58 -0200

I have downloaded GRUB and taken a quick look at its documentation.
I haven't actually used it, but I think I have a good impression
of what it is like.

It can be used to create a better looking boot solution for
a non expert user and it knows about more OSes than Solo. But
Solo seems far better during the development of a new OS.
It allows you to do console IO, have some limited file access
and handles imterrupts and exceptions for your OS until
it is ready to do all these things on its own. GRUB has
a similar functionality, but limits it to its own use. It
supposes that the OS doesn't need its help after it is
loaded into RAM.

GRUB's ability to deal with gzipped files is really great
for booting from floppy disks.

So I would use Solo to develop a new OS or to convert an
application into a bootable one (Solo can be used as a mini
OS), but I would seriously consider GRUB for creating a
distribution of an OS.

-- Jecel