How do we boot that thing?

dufrp@oricom.ca dufrp@oricom.ca
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 07:11:30 -0500

Well, first, I'm totally new to this project and to Forth programming.
I downloaded the last "official" releases source (0.31) and I see
nothing in the LLL part. Except maybe for a note that say that we
have left as86+m4 and begin to use H- language which I don't know
nothing at this time.

So I'd like someone briefly tell me what is going on in this subproject.
What are the steps you use to boot?

Just for comparaison purpose, here's how I would do it if I was alone
on this project.

I think what we want is a bootable Forth to begin with. There is no
need to make anytihing before loading this new Forth. We don't even
need to go to protected mode, because this will be made in Forth.

So the idea seems very simple (maybe too). Just have a boot sector that
loads some successives sector of the boot floppy that contain a mini-forth.
Execute it. Add all the assembler words for 386 if they're not already
there. Begin to write Forth code to go protected mode. Add the goodies
necessary to extend toward HLL. Add words to install on HDD partition.
And thats about it.

There is a 3.5k minimal Forth sources on Simtelnet/msdos/forth/minifth25.zip.
Maybe we could begin with that. But if we'd have a free Forth with
assembler words in, 386 would be even better, that would make an even
easier task.

Anyway, that is how I see it, I guess you have made another way.
Just briefly tell me how you proceeds.

-Paul Dufresne

Net-Tamer V 1.07X; Beta - Test Drive